Spread some chutzpah and cheer with Evan as he goes through the toils and tribulations of turning thirteen (and preparing a bar mitzvah bash to boot). The show—despite several canceled dates due to the monsoon—prepares for its final bow with all ticket profits going to relief efforts. So, be a grown up and reminisce about growing up with Ateneo BlueRepertory’s production of 13: The Musical (August 11, 2012).
In an effort to foster a bit of childhood foolishness, a bunch of us here at STATUS look back on some of the things that made us happy way back when. Ah, simpler times. Take a look at our nostalgic little list below. What did you enjoy when you were 13?
10 Things that were cool when we were 13
1. Trading cards (Don’t deny it, Magic nerds, Pokemon geeks, and NBA freaks)
2. Handheld gaming devices, including Game Gear, Game & Watch, and that blocky grey colorless Gameboy. (Honorable mention: Tamagotchi)
3. Being mallrats (Arcades, neoprints, and studio pics)
4. Tamiya racecars
5. Walkmen/discmen, although the first iPod (with buttons, not just a clicker wheel) came out around our teen years, too.
7. TV teen dramas etc. (It was the era of Buffy, Dawson’s Creek, Charmed, et al.)
8. Boy bands and girl bands.
9. Pins and keychains (Age-appropriate accessorizing, anyone?)
10. The great shawarma food revolution.
While you may not actually see any of the above when you watch 13, the show evokes that exhilarating age and all the bright, happy memories that go with it. Trust us, you won’t regret it.—D-SIÓN